PHD ANILE PRIZE 2018
The Angelo Marcello Anile Association announces the fourth edition of the Anile Prize. The Prize has been previously awarded to Dr. Alessio Figalli, Dr. Andrea Brini and Dr. Claudio Cremaschini. The prize will be awarded for a PhD thesis written in English and submitted in an Italian university, concerning a topic that bridges the gap between mathematics and its applications. Work that uses advanced mathematics and/or proposes new mathematical tools in order to solve applied problems from economics, engineering, science and technology is particularly appropriate. The work will be evaluated on the basis of the quality of the mathematics and of its impact on the application.
The Prize Fund
Funds for this prize are contributed by the Angelo Marcello Anile Association.
The candidate must have completed his/her doctoral dissertation and all other requirements for his/her doctorate during the period running from April 1st 2013 to April 30th 2018.
Deadline for application: March 31st 2019.
A committee composed of people nominated by the association will select the successful candidate.
Applications should be made using the application form (also available at assoama.it) accompanied by:
- A copy of the thesis
- A curriculum vitae: pdf file containing the application form and all the required attachments should be emailed to email@example.com.
- The theses supervisor should e-mail (directly to firstname.lastname@example.org) a brief report/recommendation (no more than two pages) . This should include a summary of the PhD thesis, placing it within the context of its contribution to the associated research field and containing an assessment of the balance of input from the student, the supervisor and any other people involved regarding the basic ideas and strategy of the work, the development and use of necessary techniques and the interpretation of the results.
- The application will be supported by at least two recommendation letters written by well-known researchers and directly e-mailed by the authors to email@example.com
Notification of the Award
The result of the competition will be announced within September 30th 2019. The announcement will appear on the association website. If it is considered that no thesis reaches the standard required, the Selection Committee may decide not to award the prize. The Prize will be announced again in 2020.
Prize Award Date
The award will be presented to the winner before Dicember 31th 2019.
Description of the Award
The award will consist of:
- A citation certificate
- A cash award of € 5000 (tax included)
- Refund of reasonable travel expenses to Catania
- The winner will also be given free life membership of the Angelo Marcello Anile Association (as an ordinary member).
The president of the Angelo Marcello Anile Association will present the award to the recipient during an official event held in Catania by the end of December 2019.